Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Days 5 & 6....you won't believe this!!





Pictures *****: the 2nd two are from yesterday and the top 2 are from today!! YAY

Day 5 (Monday August 31, 2009)

So yesterday I got up way later than normal. I woke up at around 7 and was doing stuff by 8. The scary/annoying thing was I woke up writhing in pain because I hadn't had pain meds in 7 hours. That blew! Not even kidding I feel like someone was sawing my jaw right then and there. Sad day, but it got better. Now out at school and stuff I know thats pretty normal for me during the week, and on weekends to sleep in until around 10 or 11. However, since having surgery I have been averaging about 5 hours of sleep a night, with several naps during the day. Normally i sleep from 12-5 which is alright because I take my antibiotics every 6 hours so midnight and 6, noon, and 1800. Yup yup early early. I made my first smoothie since having my operation. I know thats hard to believe but seriously! I have no idea why I didn't do that earlier. 

I made a strawberry and peach smoothie with a bit o honey and milk. Extremely delightful considering the circumstances. My tummy loved me all day for it. I also finished watching The Lion King...What a frikin fantastic movie. I am so excited to say that I think I love it as much now as when I was 1/4 my age. When I was 5 though, my favorite characters were definitely timon and pumba. Duuude I love em!! HAKUNA MATATA!! "what a wonderful phrase..." thats so true. No worries man. "You gotta put your past behind ya" ~Timon. I completely agree. Ya know all things happen for a reason and we just have to discover that reason or accept that its happened and then we can move on and gain the most from it. Its funny, and satisfying, to be able to look back at almost everything in my life good and bad, and see that everything happened for some awesome reason that I can pretty much understand today. There are some things that I honestly do not like accepting but I know that one day I will understand, or not, and thats ok. Anyway, back to what I was saying before haha. Now my favorite character for sure is Rafiki. Did you know that in swahili rafiki means friend. I don't remember when I learned that but I like it, and love him! Haaha. "A santesana squashed banana, hmmm, hmm, hmmm, hmm, hmmm, hmm, hmmmm, hmm" haha. I love it. And he does a lot of what I want/like/wish i could do. Meditation, spiritual, open to revelation, close to the earth, he is wise, funny as all get out, and hey he's a baboon. I think if I weren't a human I could be a baboon, or an otter. haha. fun stuff. 

Well yesterday I also realized that I could kinda smile!! YAY! I ate some soup. Made up my actual bed with raised head, and then fell dead asleep. 


Day 6

Tomorrow it will have been a week since surgery!! I almost don't believe it. This means only 5 more weeks to go, and I can already eat soup, cottage cheese, smoothies, peas, yogurt, soaked pieces of bread, and pudding. Hahaha. YAY! I can actually eat a few more things than that but today I went to the store with my mom to make sure I will have a few of those things around. I have lost about 5 pounds which I guess I am ok with but since I really don't want to lose any more weight I got some BOOST Plus at the HEB. Chocolate tastes really weird right now so I am strictly a vanilla girl for the time being. I am hoping that some how I will get the recommended amount of  calories in the next few weeks because I am told it will speed healing and give me the energy I need to get back to doing normal activities. I am starting a food journal tomorrow to keep track of my intake and make sure that I really am getting enough fluids and calories!! I am excited. I have never really had one before, except for like 2 weeks when I started being a vegetarian the first time. Funny how that worked out. Two of my friends started it with me and then I held it for about a year and they dropped the diet after 2 months. Now they are both vegan, vegetarians, and I eat meat. haha. Love life man! I also got some goober grape, mango juice, V8 juice (i really miss my vegetables!!!!!), and a few cans of broccoli cheese, and chicken & stars soups. :D I am now the definition of a happy camper!! 

Today I woke up so late. I went to bed at midnight and got up at 1pm. CRAZZY! You know what bothered me the most....I missed a dose of my antibiotics!! Ugh. Its ok though. I woke up not in pain just bugged by the fact that I slept so late and wouldn't have time enough to get every thing done I needed to today. For example, since I still can't talk coherently on the phone I needed my momsy or grandparents to call the doc to schedule an appt but my grandparents were gone and my momsy was busy until 2:45 and we went to the store at 3 and didn't get out until 4. Sad. The clinics I need appts at close at 4 so we couldn't call today. Luckily we can call tomorrow!! :) I just hope that my post-op is on thursday haha. That ones really important. They said they might remove my outer stitches on thursday. There are two dark spots on my face with a blue thread stickin out and those are my stitches. Then inside I have stitches all along the bottom of my lip...thats why it is so swollen. Well after getting back from HEB I was exhausted! But I still had to make mashed potatoes for dinner, and I did eat some yumm. 

After only one week the swelling is down so much it's incredible. At the store today some people stared at me and gave me looks and it seemed as if they were trying to figure out if and what was wrong with me. haha. I have bruises and discoloration still and the stitches and swelling. haha. I can only imagine what they thought. 2 People were totally shocked when I actually spoke aahaha. Like I said I am not very coherent and I wouldn't be surprised if they thought I was retarded or something. When the missionaries were over this last week one asked if I had wisdom teeth out. Thats kinda flattering but also the only people really think of when they see a person my age with swelling in the face and ground up food in a dish. haha. I didn't eat in front of them. That would have been unkind. Now my eating is better and I can just drink normally. haha. I used to slurp and suck and lot to get it to my throat haha. Ewww. Jane said it made her feel sick to be around me when I ate. Hahaha. I really am sorry about that but that was the only way I figured out how to eat. I am glad to say is a lot more normal with fewer sound effects. 

Well I am still very tired even after a 3 hour nap following dinner. It's only 11 here but I think I will take another nap until 12, or go talk with my momsy and grandparents for a while. Antibiotics...I tell ya. Need my sleep so. Goodnight all. Hope you have had a great first two days of school at BYU or elsewhere, or just had a ton of fun living your life in whatever beautiful place you are blessed to be in. Seriously, I could live the rest of my life traveling the world because every place has something beautiful and unique to offer. At any rate HAVE FUN and make sure that you tell at least one person every day that you love them, laugh really big twice, and smile at three people you don't know. Everyday. Do that and you will change the world by adding a little bit more love into it. And the world could use a little more love everyday. 

with smiles and hopes, and dreams.

~Abby 
 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like your mouth is doing pretty good. Maybe I'm tired and missed it skimming this, but how is the adjustment going? I mean, you went through a considerable facial adjustment. Does it feel strange to have the alignment so different?

    --Dustin

    ReplyDelete