Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Day Zero




Hey guys this is Jane "the friend". This is the post Abbs wrote in the hospital but she didn't have internet to post it. She'll be there at least through tomorrow, but she'll probably be coming home then. We'll see. She's doing really well, she has her air freshener so everything's good. Her face is pretty lopsided and swollen right now but she'll be even more gorgeous soon. Her chin is now 13 mm further forward than it was and it has a dead person's bone in it.....creepy. There is some bruising but we'll probably see more of that tomorrow. And now a note from "the mommy"---


Hey there fans!  I was Abby's first fan, before anyone else even knew her.  She could kick pretty good even then!  Anyway, as usual, Abby is a real champ.  She had a great attitude going into this thing, taking all kinds of pictures for post comparison and eating steak the night before, and she was fairly chipper tonight.  Now that is saying something for someone in huge amounts of pain (morphine and percoset go a long ways--see her post below) with ice bags on each cheek and an extra to blot where she wants it most.  I know she can't wait to see the results when the fat lips and cheeks disappear.  So, now you get to read Abby's own experience today.  Bye.


Wednesday 


Friends, family, freaks, geeks, lovers, and laughers,


Hi yall!! So I am alive!! Yay no serious problems or complications! My surgery went as well as planned. When I was checkin in at the Airforce Gate to get on to Base surgery called and said I needed to rush in because the OR (Operating Room) was already to get me in and get er done, even though my scheduled check-in time wasn’t for another 20 mins! I ran in with Jane up to the Lab and the techs were held up so I let them know after about 15 mins of waiting, that the OR was ready and wanted me there 10 mins ago. haha. One tech figured out there was a hold up and that my case was urgent so we went down to the lab on the first floor...and luckily found an empty room. He works in UA (urine analysis) which I found interesting, I like medicine so don’t be too shocked by that. He says that after working there a little while you get used to the urine smell and you can actually smell different bacteria and substances in the urine without checking...which they check anyway of course! 


After getting my blood drawn we went up to Same Day Surgery where Jane and I waited for about 15 mins for my Dad to come up and then 10 more mins before I headed off for more pre-op check in. I got changed and was rushed out to the waiting room to drop off my stuff and head to the pre-OR station where it took longer than expected to get an IV, for it seems I still have runaway veins. Finally they got it going and I got wonderful anesthesia. I don’t remember much after that until I woke up in post-op. Soon thereafter I met up with my mom and jane.


Now...bleeding a lot but with a suction thing that gets it out. Lots of rinsing and just management. haha. The pain isn’t nearly as bad as I had imagined. Really just feels tight and sore to open much. I can talk a bit more than I thought I’d be able to and actually they encourage it to some degree. Its hard to get up and walk on my own because of the drugs but its all good. 


So I will write more tomorrow...hopefully jane will post some pics and her thoughts about the whole shabang! But hey Im sooo swollen and thats really the hardest part. Its hard to swallow anything but i gotta do what i gotta do. thanks for the support and love and prayers and hope! I love you all and hope that you are having a great week! 


~your mushroom/cow/blimpie faced, funny little friend~

No comments:

Post a Comment